Welcome

Thanks for reading me. If you've seen my other blog, you'll know it's full of politics and more than a bit of sarcasm. This one is for me.... my journey through self and into realization.

Here is where I intend to explore me - and through my words, I hope you'll learn me, as well. If you learn a bit about yourself in the process, I would consider that the greatest compliment you could pay me.

As with any good exploration, nobody knows what we'll find, but I'm flush with the excitement of the journey, and not worried about the eventual endpoint.

Thank you for sharing this journey with me.

Friday, July 16, 2010

A Meditation

Tonight I spent some more time down on my fountain, feeling the sun on my face, the spray from the fountain and waterfalls kissing my skin, the wind stroking my hair with sure fingers.  It's become one of my favorite places in this city - the perfect blend of all 4 elements and, I am beginning to believe, a node.

For the first time in a long time, I ran a dialog for meditation in my head.  Normally, I don't need an ongoing stream of instruction running through my head, it's a distraction.  But, tonight, I contemplated bringing someone else along for an opening introduction to how I meditate - something I've done before with varying degrees of success - and, as such, needed to craft a walkthrough.

I was impressed - running this dialog through my mind while I followed my own internal instructions, was very relaxing.  I didn't get the introspection I usually get on my normal meditation, but this touched me in another way.

I'll share:

Sit, relaxed, in a quiet place.  Compose your body in a comfortable position, either sitting with legs crossed or leaning against a comfortable piece of furniture.  If you feel undue pressure anywhere, adjust until you are certain you can maintain this position for 10ish minutes.  

Close your eyes to shut out distractions of objects in your place.

(at this point, the presenter of this meditation, who is speaking the words aloud, would put fingers to temples, and rub in a light, circular motion)

Feel my fingers on your temples.  Feel the muscles in your temples start to relax under this gentle pressure.  Imagine this pressure spreading out from your temples, a wave of relaxation spreading from this nexus point throughout your being.  

Feel the wave of relaxation reaching out, spreading along your scalp and face.  Feel the muscles loosen in your face.  Let your eyes roll backwards as the skin and muscles in your face relax completely.  Let the muscles in your face soften in response to the wave of relaxation spreading from my fingertips.

Let the wave continue down, washing against your neck.  Let the tension drift away in the wake of the wave.

It continues - spreading over your shoulders.  Relaxation washes through your shoulders as the wave continues to spread its healing throughout you.

Down further, flowing down arms, hands, fingers.  Everything relaxed, everything calm, everything peaceful. 

Spreading now, into your upper back and chest.  Feel the wave relaxing shoulder blades, feel the steady beat of your heart in your chest.  Slow, steady, pumping the blood through your body, washing it in calm and peace.

Lower now, the wave touches, relaxes abdomen and lower back....feel those muscles join the others in quiet, peace, bliss.

Legs, thighs.  Everything relaxing, quiet, content.

Lower, the wave reaches, touching shins, heels, feet, toes.  Everything deeply relaxed now, your body is completely engulfed by the wave of quiet content.

Feel the oxygen flowing into your lungs.  Feel the clean air, pure and sweet, washing through your blood.  On the exhale, feel all the stress and tension flow out of your body.  

In, cleansing air filling, purifying.

Out, tension, stress, tension leaving. 

Imagine stepping out of this body now, to look down on yourself from above, your peaceful and relaxed self, so quiet, so calm, so in tune with yourself.  You can see, from your vantage point, the exhalations of stress and tension continue to flow out of you with each breath.  You can see, from your vantage, each inhalation of pure sweet air entering your body, to energize, cleanse, and strengthen.

See, as well, how the balance is maintained in your body.  Air in through the lungs.  The fire of intellect and creativity in your mind burning brightly through the skin of your face and your closed, relaxed eyes.  Water is your blood, streaming, touching, bringing life to every cell in your body.  And Earth, represented by the strong bones which are the bedrock, the strength, the very framework of your body.  Each element acting in concert with its fellows to craft the unique individual that is you.

Breathe in, cleansing air.

Breathe out, stress and tension flow from you.

In.

Out.

In.

Out.

I'm going to bring you back to awareness now....slowly, gently you fit yourself back in your body - easing gently back into yourself...fitting your consciousness back into your cleansed, stress-free self.

You can feel your toes..warm, comfortable, completely relaxed. 

The awareness spreads upwards, touching heels, calves, knees. Everything still clean and relaxed.

Upwards, you can feel your thighs.

Curving around the bend now, your awareness takes in your abdomen and lower back....everything still calm, centered, balanced within you.....relaxed, yet aware, awake.

Higher still, feeling your heart beating in your chest, your lungs drawing in the clean air, and exhaling the tension.  Exhaling the stress.  Letting it all out with each exhalation.

You can feel your shoulders.  Awareness flares down your arms, into your fingers.  You flex your fingers as they awaken.

Higher still, sprading awareness up your neck, into your face.  You can feel my fingers once again stroking your temples with gentle, sure strokes as your awareness and the fire of awakening complete themselves.

Open your eyes....good morning.  


And that is how one starts meditation.  Try it sometime with a friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment